November 17, 2021 – Ottawa, ON – Veterans Ombud Colonel (Ret’d) Nishika Jardine awarded seven Commendations to the following 2021 recipients at a virtual ceremony this afternoon:
- Individual Contribution: Jacqueline Zweng
- Individual Contribution: Kyle Scott
- Individual Contribution: Terry Malchuk
- Lifetime Contribution: Helen Escott
- Lifetime Contribution: Dr. John Whelan
- Local Organization: Heroes Mending on the Fly – Nova Scotia
- National Organization: Canada Company: Many Ways to Serve
The Veterans Ombudsman Commendation recognizes and honours the exceptional dedication, hard work and selfless motivation of an individual or group's contribution to Canada's Veterans and their families.
“It is my honour to present the 2021 Veterans Ombud Commendation to seven exceptional people and organizations nominated by their peers. You are looking out for the well-being of our Veterans and their families, and your leadership is bringing positive change to the Veterans community and is inspiring others to make a difference.”
Colonel (Ret’d) Nishika Jardine, Veterans Ombud
- The Veterans Ombud, in consultation with the Veterans Ombud Advisory Council, awards these commendations annually in recognition of outstanding individuals and organizations making an impact for Veterans and their families.
- The Office of the Veterans Ombud is an independent advocate for fairness for the well-being of Veterans and their families. It works to ensure the fair treatment of Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) clients by investigating complaints and challenging the policies and decisions of Veterans Affairs Canada where we find individual or systemic unfairness.